School and Daycare Health: Cold Season
The opening of school with crowded buses, classrooms, and halls provides the perfect opportunity for the spread of viruses from one child to the next. There are ways to reduce a child’s chance of contracting the latest “bug” floating around the school and daycare environment with a few simple instructions.
- Teach your child to wash their hands before eating and after using the bathroom.
- Teach your child to cover their mouths and noses when they sneeze or cough, preferable in the crooks of their elbows if possible instead of their hands.
- Warn your child to never share cups or straws with other children
- Make sure your child washes his/her hands and faces when they get home from school.
- Review age appropriate personal hygiene with your child.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep because lack of sleep reduces the ability of the immune system to fight infection.
- Children learn by example so set a good personal hygiene example.